Friday, September 17, 2010

Finally! My First Ride

First of all, for those who have asked both on and off the blog, I promise to get some pictures put up sometime this weekend (hopefully). 

Where was I?  Oh yes, Labor Day weekend.  Karl got off work early on Friday and he came home and asked what chores we could do so we could ride on the rest of the weekend.  Chores!  Forget the chores!  I wanted to go for a ride!

The trmperature was somewhere around 90 degrees so I wore a T-shirt and my leather vest, jeans and boots.  Good thing I had those boots - those exhaust pipes are hot. 

"Where do you want to go?" 

"I don't know, Warrenton maybe?"

Warrenton it was.  We were only going riding for a couple hours, three tops.  Of course, we took the back roads out because riding is all about the roads you take and not so much about where you're going.  Riding is a lot like life that way - once you know your destination, it's more about the journey.  The roads less traveled are the best and more scenic than the crowded roads that get you there fast.  Although fast on the back roads can be exhilirating.  Apparently, the backseat of the bike makes a person wax philosophical too.

Sitting there on the back of the bike, watching the scenery up close and personal and smelling the smells that you're shielded from in a car, from the clean fresh air of a wooded lane, even if it is 90 out, to the farm smells as we ride through horse country and the smell of the hot road, it all fills up the senses.

Off we went through Brentsville, a rural little town I've always enjoyed driving through, Vint Hill and Nokesville on our way out to Warrenton.  Once there, we stopped for gas and a bottle of cold water - we were both sweating in the heat despite the road wind.  I was ready for a break as the seat was getting uncomfortable. 

I had a choice.  We could wander our way back home or we could ride farther out toward Culpeper.  Well, after the break and some water, I wasn't ready to go home yet.  It was only around four in the afternoon.  Culpeper.  It would be a good break point and maybe our friends who live there were home.  And even if they weren't, it's a nice ride, and that's what it's all about.

We arrived at our friends' house and no joy.  OK.  I needed the break anyway and needed to stretch my legs and walk around a bit.  It's probably a good thing.  That house tends to be the house of no return for us and it had been a long time since we had touched base with those friends.  After about a 10 min break, we hopped back on the bike and decided to take it home. 

I discovered that there were still a few things lacking in my personal gear.  I needed a rag to wear under my helmet because the sweat was dripping down my face, and my glasses were sliding down my nose.  Not that they were in danger of falling off, but because I wear bi-focals and you want them to sit in the right place on your nose or you get queasy.  So I needed something to hold them in place on hot sweaty days.

I also discovered that maybe Culpeper was a little ambitious for the first ride out.  My initial ride before a break is longer than subsequent rides on the same trip.  The breaks get closer together because I need them more frequently.  By the time we got to Nokesville coming home. I was starting to feel lightheaded and tapped Karl on the shoulder to ask for a break.  We stopped at the first handy place - a car dealership - and took a break in their parking lot.  Karl went in an asked for a glass of water which he brought out for me.  I drank it and felt much better.  I think that from the hot day and the hot road and the hot bike and all the sweating, I got a little dehydrated.  The water made all the difference.  And we'll file that in the "Lessons Learned" column.

We decided to just buy a case of bottled water and pack a few in the saddlebags for our trips. 

So we got back on and rode the rest of the way home.  I'd be lying if I didn't say that I wasn't ready to be home and off the bike by the time we got back.  My backside was telling me it was time to get off this iron horse and that I was going to be a little saddle sore.  But I have to say, all in all, it was a great afternoon and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  We were out for about three hours, and that's not bad for the first ride in about 30 years.

The next day was going to be a break day because we were scheduled to help Katie move into her new house.     

We stopped by East Coast on the way home from Katie's and I bought a rag with a sweat band to wear under my helmet and a black leather gadget to hold my glasses in place while I ride.

Sunday was our next big ride...
  

     

1 comment:

  1. Too cool!! Love your comparison of life and a ride too...very philosophical and zen of you. :-)

    ReplyDelete