Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Shopping For Harleys, Part 2

Wednesday, July 14, 2010


Harleys Part 2

In the weeks since we took the decision that it was finally time to buy a Harley, my husband and I have been doing our homework. We have perused the catalog, and checked out the parent website where we have custom built our dream motorcycle. We have swapped out handlebars, swapped in and out various seat configurations, changed colors, added saddlebags, taken away saddle bags and luggage racks, platforms for foot pegs; we have looked at just about every variation that we could think of on several different models.

We have made two more trips to the dealer. I took my son on the first trip - he has his own Harley dreams, and they're not the same as ours - and I talked to the salesman about different features. Of course, he asked about the type of riding we plan to do, (day trips on the good weather weekends and an overnight about once every couple months), and he made recommendations and showed me the difference between the bikes we were considering.

We ended up making a tentative appointment over the past weekend for a convenient time for my husband. I wasn't sure how convenient it would be. My husband was scheduled for the three day Motorcycle Safety course for the weekend, but in the end, he came to the appointment, talked to the dealer himself, sat on a couple bikes and confirmed our choice.

After my business with the dealer, I went to the gear and apparel side of the place and tried on boots, a leather jacket and a helmet. I figured out what I like, what I don't like, what fits and what sizes. So now I have an idea of what I'm looking for and what I'm not looking for. I surprised myself. The boots I chose after trying them on were not the boots I thought I wanted.

I want to get a leather jacket, and I will probably buy it from the dealer; but I'm looking for something understated. The reason is that bike jackets have features precisely for motorcycle riding, and they cost about the same as a good quality leather jacket anywhere else. Same goes for the boots. My only issue is if I'm going to spend a lot of money on a leather jacket, I don't want to pay extra for the privilege of wearing the logo and being a walking advertisement for Harley Davidson. The problem is, if you buy it from Harley, you're wearing the logo. I think I found something that minimized the logo and works for me, but I'm holding out for the new stuff coming in at the end of the month with the new model year. So I have a good idea of what I want when the time comes.

This past weekend, my husband took the motorcycle safety course, and passed it. (There was never any doubt). Yesterday, he converted his D.M.V. form into an M class on his driver's license, so now we can get the bike. He further honed his ideas at our appointment with the dealer, but we have decided to see what the new models look like. We're still thinking black Fat Boy geared for the road, unless there are drastic changes in the line up. We're making progress.
Posted by klasko at 11:22 AM


2 comments:

V.R. Leavitt said...

Awesome!!! I can't wait to see pics of your new toy with you guys on it, once you get it.
July 14, 2010 2:21 PM

klasko said...

V - so glad you've resurfaced! I was beginning to wonder where you were.
July 14, 2010 4:23 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment